Forum Threads: 3598
GDM YouTube Channel
GDM on Facebook
-
View Thread
 Print Thread
Rock Candy Magazine.
Nick C
Really Malc? I liked the Planet Rock one, some good articles...but a bit of a tired format having a very similar feel to Classic Rock. I mentioned in the shoutbox it's only a fiver compared to CR's 6.99 (is it?) and I can do without the free CD in CR so the price makes it a little more appealing - but I'm with you I'll pick and choose and see what tickles my fancy on any given month. Although I like to see a good proliferation of rock magazines I don't really hold an allegiance to any particular title, it's all about having a choice.

englandashes
Eric wrote:

mickey wrote:

The old Kerrang was bigger than life.

Yes, I mention the impact of Kerrang! in a small way in an upcoming review. For me, Kerrang! was my connection to real rock (with Sounds) and the UK which I always believed to be the epicenter of my music. Those early 80's issues were indispensable and they had the balls to put Fish on a cover when no one else would.

My first Kerrang, had Manowar on the cover, issue 46 or something.......I sometimes look at the present issues, bit like the paper it's printed on.....throwaway....

darkblue
Nick C wrote:

Really Malc? I liked the Planet Rock one, some good articles...but a bit of a tired format having a very similar feel to Classic Rock. I mentioned in the shoutbox it's only a fiver compared to CR's 6.99 (is it?) and I can do without the free CD in CR so the price makes it a little more appealing - but I'm with you I'll pick and choose and see what tickles my fancy on any given month. Although I like to see a good proliferation of rock magazines I don't really hold an allegiance to any particular title, it's all about having a choice.

Looked through Planet Rock today and can't help but wonder if they didn't miscalculate how the Classic Rock demise would go.

For me it's like reading the same magazine, although PR is more like the way CR was 6 or 7 years ago. At least the reviews are much more rock and metal based than Classic Rock's tend to be these days.

Wasn't tempted to buy it but will keep flicking through it to see how it develops.
Live Fast! - Arrive early....

Nick C
I only bought it because the silver cover attracted my eye, I'm like a magpie -
I have to own shiny things! Grin

reyno-roxx
issue 2 of Rock Candy Mag available to purchase online from tomorrow.

reyno-roxx
Issue 2 now available from www.rockcandymag.com

Features: Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Foreigner, Angel (8 pages!!!), REO Speedwagon, Motorhead, John Sykes on Whitesnake's '1987' album, Ricky Warwick on Thin Lizzy, UFO and Magnum.

gdazegod
Wow, new issue with the John Sykes interview about 1987 Whitesnake should be a powderkeg! Strife In The Studio indeed!

http://www.blabbe...him-again/

englandashes
When did Kerrang become crap?, maybe at the time when they changed the paper it was printed on, it become a magazine that you screwed up like a daily newspaper, you no longer wanted to keep them , it become a throw away item. I did buy a copy of Planet Rock, hmmm Phil Alexander involved, was he at the helm when Kerrang became, well less appealing. Kerrang seemed to chase fashions...like newspapers change political parties.....

rostoned
Dave (Reynolds aka reyno-roxx here) did you write anything (uncredited) in issue 1 (Def Leppard cover) of RCM ? I noticed your name among the contributors of that issue, but then couldn't find any piece of yours strollin thru the pages....hmm!

Nick C
I can remember buying Kerrang out of habit for ages, even when it had nothing to interest me in, I was buying issues flipping through them and finding absolutely nothing of interest. It was odd finally stopping I think around the early to mid nineties after having every issue up to that point - but I never bought it again.

reyno-roxx
rostoned wrote:

Dave (Reynolds aka reyno-roxx here) did you write anything (uncredited) in issue 1 (Def Leppard cover) of RCM ? I noticed your name among the contributors of that issue, but then couldn't find any piece of yours strollin thru the pages....hmm!

My contribution to the first issue didn't make the magazine but was used as bonus content on the website. I penned the Angel feature for the new issue featuring new material from Frank DiMino and Jeremy Railton, who designed the first two album covers, original stage clothes and the staging.

rostoned
reyno-roxx wrote:
My contribution to the first issue didn't make the magazine but was used as bonus content on the website....

Oh I get it now, thanks D. For those interested it is here (the Giuffria entry), along with other cool bonus stuff you won't read in the mag:

https://www.rockc...ra-content

rostoned
gdazegod wrote:

Wow, new issue with the John Sykes interview about 1987 Whitesnake should be a powderkeg! Strife In The Studio indeed!

About the nightmare-ish recording of 1987, I don't get what Sykes means when he says in the latest RCM interview that all his solo guitar work on Is This Love at one point was wiped by Keith Olsen to make extra space for Coverdale so he (JS) had to go back to the studio in London with (I suppose) Mike Stone to redo it! Was it a mistake by KO? or done on purpose in LA by Cov and Olsen behind Sykes back? I think the former, otherwise nobody would have paid the extra studio time to recut it, given that JS at this stage was more or less already out of the picture for Cov (or not?).... Also would have been cool to know if Sykes ever cut a solo for HIGA, or Vandenberg was always intended to do it and Sykes agreed from the beginning (difficult to believe). or if the dutch was called for that only once Sykes was fired..............

About these legendary sessions also I never understood who plays the "cello" section mid tune in "Still Of The Night". Since no "cello" player is credited, I guess it was Don Airey keyboard work instead, anybody can confirm? Bill "Bette Davis Eyes" Cuomo did the keyboard intro for "Here I Go Again" , credited, plus the synth-bass job on the same album tune (read Popoff book on WS for details....) - there's no Neil Murray on the LP version of that track, I once heard a backing of HIGA on YT and clearly it is a synth bass there! Shock Plus Dann Huff uncredited did some clean guitar chords on the album version too, it is again on Popoff book confirmed by Olsen.... Obviously nothing to do with the single mix recut with other players including again Huff and Cuomo plus Carmassi if I remember well.

Another cool fact recently unearthed is that the part of the mid section of "Still Of The Night", the atmospheric one, was originally the long intro for "Looking For Love" with its "No Quarter"-ish mood. Infact if you listen to "Looking For Love" intro and first part there it is same notes as in SOTN, maybe this is a reason why Kalodner left it out the US version?hmm!
Edited by rostoned on 09-06-2017 20:14

david
I have just read the Reo Speedwagon interview with Kevin. Champaign was a hot bed of cool bands in the 70s. I have a rehearsal CD of a band called Staker, that has Bruce Halls brother on bass. I remember chatting to the drummer, and he told me Skater supported Angel, Head East and lot of the great mid west bands that we know and love.
dbshaw

Eric
Yes, but without the University of Illinois, Champaign would be nothing more than a few Grain elevators and some bars. It was a major draw for the counter-culture back in the late 60s just a couple hours from Chicago and smack dab in the middle between Indianapolis and St Louis. There was a film made about Champaign's music scene and few years ago and REO as well as Starcastle are in it and is worth checking out. Here's a link to Matt Stewart's interview, a fantastic guy and very underrated guitar player. Tip- His sister Debbie had a fashion company making stage clothes for King Crimson, Fabulous Thunderbirds and others :

YouTube Video

I miss those Starcastle days and spending time in Champaign/ Urbana. Lots of fond memories and some heart wrenching as well. Rock N' Roll!
Edited by gdazegod on 13-06-2017 10:05

Eric
Here's a scene from the same movie and the ice Cream Shop/ Bar were the back of photo of REO 'TWO' was taken. I've had drinks there after long studio time with SC at Pogo Studios which was just across the street. They are driving through downtown Champaign in the beginning..

YouTube Video

Edited by gdazegod on 13-06-2017 10:04

david
Eric, cant see the videos as the plug in is unavailable on the computer i am on. Is the documentary called "Out of Nowhere". If so i think the first song played is Skater, called "feel Free".
dbshaw

gdazegod
The videos should be visible here, they are on YouTube, and are clickable for local playing here, or, over on YT.

david
valid reason why i cant watch the video, "at work".
dbshaw

Jump to Forum:
Our Friends
Disqus
comments powered by Disqushttp://gdm.glorydazemusic.com/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=4004&pid=21567
crawlers
Google (1), Yahoo (0), msnbot (0), AskJeeves (0),