Forum Posts: 20866
Forum Threads: 3615
Twitter Feed
GDM on Social Media
View Thread
 Print Thread
California Jam 2: Ontario 1978
Nick C
Noticed this is up for release on the 28th of April. A 3CD box which has extended performances by most artists from the original vinyl release back in 1978. Plus it has dropped Jean Michel Jarre : Oxygene (part 5) ... which always baffled me with it's inclusion on the vinyl as it was a studio track.
Here's the track list for the curious

Disc One AEROSMITH 1. Intro 2. Big Ten Inch Record 3. Walk This way 4. Same Old Song And Dance 5. Draw The Line 6. Chip Away The Stone 7. Sweet Emotion 8. Toys In The Attic SANTANA 9. Jugando 10. Black Magic Woman 11. Dance Sister Dance 12. Evil Ways 13. Soul Sacrifice RUBICON 14. Never Gonna Leave 15. Too Hot To Handle 16. That s The Way Things Are > Drum Solo Jam 17. Outro Disc Two TED NUGENT 1. Intro 2. Free For All 3. Snake Skin Cowboy 4. Cat Scratch Fever 5. Just What The Doctor Ordered 6. Gonzo BOB WELCH With Special Guests Stevie Nicks And Mick Fleetwood 7. Hot Love 8. Hypnotized 9. Ebony Eyes MAHOGANY RUSH 10. Johnny B. Goode 11. Purple Haze 12. Outro Disc Three HEART 1. Intro 2. Dream Of The Archer 3. Love Alive 4. Little Queen 5. Magic Man 6. Barracuda DAVE MASON 7. Let It Go, Let It Flow 8. Takin The Time To Find 9. Gimme Some Lovin 10. Outro

Not sure I'll buy it as it's infuriating - it might have been nice for someone to have the nous to release the whole event as a tasty box but this just covers the Columbia/CBS artists at that time, although strangely Bob Welch is on and I don't think he was signed to the label and so no Foreigner at all. As it is some tracks that were on the vinyl (e.g. Frank Marino I'm a King Bee) are not on this. I'd buy it as a full box say 30-40, they could do a budget box probably cheaper with card sleeves....just get the music out there I say.
Edited by Nick C on 18-04-2017 21:44

Eric
They just can't get this one quite right can they? I remember buying the original album back then and was vastly let down.

gdazegod
This was Ontario, the suburb in the heart of Los Angeles, not Canada?

Eric
Correct. This was at the height of American Stadium concerts where you would have 5-6 major bands (or soon to be) every other Summer weekend (so it seemed) playing in massive Baseball and Football Stadiums in large cities and sometimes smaller mid-sized cities too. If I remember right, The California Jam was held at a racing track in Ontario which is an LA suburb. It was so hyped but so was the Texas Jam, Canada Jam and others. There are clips on Youtube or there were at one time.

Nick C
What is the Rubicon album like? Has anyone heard it? I was always kind of interested because of the involvement of Jack Blades and Brad Gillis but I never pursued it with any real gusto.

Explorer
I've still got the original vinyl knocking around somewhere (more than likely in the depths of the loft). I bought it as an expensive import at the time, a bit of a dog's breakfast really, but like Nick says if they put the whole thing together at a reasonable price I'd go for it.

tompa
So frustrating with Mahogany Rush; two covers when they up to 1978 had FIVE great studioalbums to pick songs from. This is why I never have cared about their Livealbum from that year, recently reissued by Rock Candy. They had their reasons I guess for playing those but why Johnny Be Goode when they have Tales Of The Spanish Warrior, why Purple Haze when they have Requiem For A Sinner. Why and indeed WHY?!

david
Nick, I picked up a copy of the Rubicon album in a secondhand record warehouse in Baton Rogue back in 84. From memory it was nothing special. I also found the Flame album, Nightranger radio broadcast album and the Angel radio broadcast album. And to cap of the day we saw Icon play that evening.
dbshaw

gdazegod
Rubicon play funk based rock from the era. Eric reviewed their 1980 LP 'America Dreams'

http://gdm.gloryd...le_id=2752

Eric
Alun wrote the 1980 review. Thumbs Up

We still need to get around to the debut which included the Top 40 hit 'I'm Gonna Take Care Of Everything'.

Jump to Forum:
Our Friends
Disqus
comments powered by Disqushttp://gdm.glorydazemusic.com/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=4028&pid=21329
crawlers
Google (1), Yahoo (0), msnbot (0), AskJeeves (0),