GDM YouTube Channel
GDM on Facebook
View Thread
 Print Thread
Lone Justice - Ways To Be Wicked
jefflynnefan
YouTube Video

Eric
I remember this all over MTV and thinking she was pretty cute and a little precocious with the line 'not afraid to stick it in', but I digress... A good tune but that twangy voice bugged me as it does with every other country artist.

This came out at a time when Americana/ Paisley Underground bands like The Long Ryders, The Rain Parade, Green on Red and others were all the rage and some of it I was into for a while, some I wasn't. Mellencamp jumped on the bandwagon with 'Scarecrow', it was then I knew I had enough. Sold everything and went back to my Byrds albums for the real deal....

jefflynnefan
Eric,

Check this clip out as it's interesting about the band's history and troubles. Maria sings for about a minute so bear with it. Oh and she's sort of wacky.

"Ways to be Wicked" was co- written by Tom Petty. Which is interesting because Maria was compared to "Gayle McCormick" at the time because of her voice. You remember Gayle ? She was in the 60's band called Smith and had some solo albums out in the early 70's. I'm sure her album cover for "Flesh and Blood" sold records on it's own! Anyways Tom Petty's record label would later reissue those Smith albums on cd on his record label.

Okay here's that interview with Maria. She talks about the band and what went wrong.

YouTube Video

Edited by gdazegod on 01-05-2017 10:53

Eric
Yeah, a mile a minute and that voice- ugh... I knew of Smith but not her connection? Surprised to see the LJ debut and 'Shelter' on 'Best of CCM' lists now and then, never drew that parallel with their music although I remember Bono was a fan and I think they toured with U2 as well.

I dunno, just not my thing....

mickey
Her last studio album titled Late December and released ten years ago itīs an awesome album.

darkblue
At the risk of sounding flippant, that's a most unflattering screenshot someone chose for that video.
Live Fast! - Arrive early....

Eric
LOL!lol

gdazegod
Haha Steven, I think the author of that YouTube video doesn't have any control of what actually shows up as the screen image. No issue if it is a fixed image all the way through the video, but if the clip is a moving image, it's pot luck I guess. But agree, totally unflattering pic of Maria McKee.. lol! secret

jefflynnefan
mickey wrote:

Her last studio album titled Late December and released ten years ago itīs an awesome album.

I need to get "Late December". I've read some great reviews about the album. I know the song on the album called "A Good Heart" that Maria wrote was a number one song in England for another artist (Midge Ure ??) . Tina Arena did a nice cover version of Maria's solo hit " Show Me Heaven". I think that was a hit for Tina too.

Explorer
Feargal Sharkey (former lead singer of The Undertones) took 'A Good Heart ' to number 1 here in the UK, and Laura Branigan has also covered 'Show me Heaven'

darkblue
gdazegod wrote:

Haha Steven, I think the author of that YouTube video doesn't have any control of what actually shows up as the screen image. No issue if it is a fixed image all the way through the video, but if the clip is a moving image, it's pot luck I guess. But agree, totally unflattering pic of Maria McKee.. lol! secret

I didn't realise that. Looking at most youtube clips of actual you-tubers (I have three daughters...) they seem to be chosen to catch the eye or portray what's in them.

Either way Maria looks like she is having a BAAAAAAD day in the still shot! SadGrin
Live Fast! - Arrive early....

Jump to Forum:
Our Friends
Disqus
comments powered by Disqushttp://gdm.glorydazemusic.com/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=4036&pid=21466
crawlers
Google (1), Yahoo (0), msnbot (0), AskJeeves (0),