GDM YouTube Channel
GDM on Facebook
-
View Thread
 Print Thread
New Box Sets
RobLynott
Today I ordered the new 6-disc box set by Rex Smith:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ROCK-ROLL-DREAM-1976-1983-BOXSET/dp/B01MZCZIU9/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1494947707&sr=1-1

What a bargain!

One of my next orders will be this one by Tygers Of Pan Tang:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mca-Years-Tygers-Pan-Tang/dp/B071DL28LJ/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1494947776&sr=1-3&keywords=tygers+of+pan+tang

And if you're interested in completing your Little River Band collection check out this one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Capitol-Years-Little-River-Band/dp/B01MZ6K4DM/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1494947895&sr=1-1&keywords=little+river+band

All of them with loads of OOP titles and for a pretty good price!
Edited by RobLynott on 18-05-2017 19:21

Jez
The Little River band set is excellent as it has the hard to get 'Playing To Win' and 'No Reins' albums...remastered from what I can hear. Forgot how brilliant these 2 are. The others in the set have some great moments too.
I Like Beer!!

darkblue
Thanks for the head's up on the TOPT box Rob!
Live Fast! - Arrive early....

Nick C
Yeah - I've had my eye on the Tygers one too. Wink

reyno-roxx
The four Fandango albums are being repackaged in a box set through Hear No Evil next Friday. Booklet notes by Mr Dome.

englandashes
Fandango been on my watch list, especially as I never got round to buying One Night Stand.

Just arrived, Witchfynde - Divine Victims, the first three albums, my favourite as a 14 year end, being Cloak and Dagger, especially the single, I'd Rather Go Wild.......take me away"...........seemed to remember it got unexpected high in the old Kerrang charts at the time.

Nick C
Coo...didn't know about the Witchfynde, another to get!

darkblue
Got the Witchfynde. Some of it still really stacks up and lucky enough to receive a copy of the Fandango today. Looking forward to that!

RobLynott
Thanks for reminding us of Witchfynde! That's also on my list.

How's the sound quality of that one and the Fandango set? I only have the Rock Candy reissue of "Cadillac", which has an ugly drop out in one of the songs.

Btw: Just renamed the thread in new box sets. I think there are a lot more to come!

Nick C
Good thread this as I would've missed out on the Witchfynde and the Fandango.

melodiapositiva
I´m thinking to buy the John miles box ,"the decca years" .It has a lot of bonus tracks but i don´t know if the sound quality is good enough .The little river band box set is good ,good sound and a booklet with the band´s biography .

RobLynott
I also thought about the John Miles box. But according to some reviews on Amazon Zaragon and More Miles Per Hour are taken from vinyl, which is a major letdown. Why can't they just get the fuckin' master tapes or at least inform people what they are buying. So, be careful with that one!

melodiapositiva
OK thanks, do you know if the same problem happens with the normal cd edition ?
Vinyl rips are very common in the remasters nowadays ,and for me that´s a theft because i can do the same at home with a cd-r .

darkblue
RobLynott wrote:

Thanks for reminding us of Witchfynde! That's also on my list.

How's the sound quality of that one and the Fandango set? I only have the Rock Candy reissue of "Cadillac", which has an ugly drop out in one of the songs.

Btw: Just renamed the thread in new box sets. I think there are a lot more to come!

The sound quality on the Withfynde is OK, not brilliant. It has been remastered, but it's audibly rough around the edges. YEARS since I heard the originals, so I'm not sure on how it compares as an improvement.

It's good enough for me (although I'm not really an audiophile in that sense) but it certainly didn't make me think "wow, this sounds great".

Haven't had a chance to listen to any Fandango yet.

RobLynott
Darkblue, are these Witchfynde albums vinyl rips with clicks and pops? Or is it just the rough recording quality?

The normal John Miles cd editions... well, Rebel and Stranger in the city are from master tapes or a related source. Very good sound! I haven't heard Zaragon and More Miles Per Hour yet, but the reviews of the sound quality are not so good. Nobody knows why they use vinyl rips and not the the master tapes.... so beware..

melodiapositiva
Ok my friend i´ll take care .

Nick C
RobLynott wrote:

Darkblue, are these Witchfynde albums vinyl rips with clicks and pops? Or is it just the rough recording quality?

The normal John Miles cd editions... well, Rebel and Stranger in the city are from master tapes or a related source. Very good sound! I haven't heard Zaragon and More Miles Per Hour yet, but the reviews of the sound quality are not so good. Nobody knows why they use vinyl rips and not the the master tapes.... so beware..

I gave this box a quick listen on headphones and I THINK they are vinyl rips, again I could be wrong my only basis for that thought is that I noticed a bit of rumble on a track on Cloak and Dagger on the fade out but it could be tape rumble though from when it was recorded, I didn't notice any clicks or pops, ...whether I will in subsequent closer listens I'm not sure ...but IF they are it's not really noticeable unless you try really hard. Maybe they've been "no-noised" as it were to eliminate rumble because there is no hiss or anything between tracks and I would think there might be considering their age - Reading a review I believe the audio sources may have been iffy...but it doesn't say what they are though "With a remaster job from Andy Pearce and Matt Wortham that works hard with some ropey original audio sources". I think part of it sounding a bit rough is due simply to how it was recorded, certainly Give Em Hell and Gettin' Heavy sound very similar to how I remember my single sounding recording quality wise but I'd have to dig it out to compare properly. They have been remastered a little more "in your face" but no way over loud to the point that it ruins them...in fact I quite like them and they especially work well through my speakers that are real picky about overly loud remasters.

Am I pleased I bought the set? Yeah too right, I've always had a soft spot for Witchfynde yet never really acted on it, and for £12 this little box will do nicely

darkblue
RobLynott wrote:

Rob, Nick's assessment above is pretty much spot on (it's actually my review from over at Sea of Tranquility he quoted - thanks for reading Nick! http://www.seaoftranquility.org/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=19900).

As Nick says, I'm not sure of the source - the booklet doesn't say - however the sound is good, but far from brilliant. I can't hear any pops or clicks either, so it isn't obviously from vinyl, but the sound is ropey enough to make you think that it isn't impossible that it might be.

If you're looking for awesome sounding versions of these albums, this isn't it I'm afraid. However, like Nick (again), I'm pleased with what I've got.

Nick C
darkblue wrote:

RobLynott wrote:

Rob, Nick's assessment above is pretty much spot on (it's actually my review from over at Sea of Tranquility he quoted - thanks for reading Nick! http://www.seaoftranquility.org/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=19900).

Nice overview of it, I bookmarked Sea of Tranquility as I had never come across it before. It's a Cherry Red associated label that has re-issued it and they can veer from doing great re-releases to mediocre ones. I just checked a review on Amazon (U.S.) and there's a Witchfynde fan on there who appears to have various versions and reckons this little box is the best sounding.

RobLynott
Thanks for review, darkblue!!

I will definitely put the Witchfynde box on my list. It's a real bargain!

Jump to Forum:
Our Friends
Disqus
comments powered by Disqushttp://gdm.glorydazemusic.com/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=4051&pid=21612
crawlers
Google (1), Yahoo (0), msnbot (0), AskJeeves (0),