Forum Threads: 3615
Twitter Feed
GDM on Social Media
View Thread
GDM » Public » Obituaries
 Print Thread
Glen Campbell
gdazegod
Country singing legend Glen Campbell passed away yesterday, aged 81. His songs were a constant in my young life, thanks to my Dad's record collection. Legendary tunes such as 'Wichita Lineman' and 'Galveston' are timeless.

Anyway, from GC's Facebook page:

"It is with the heaviest of hearts that we announce the passing of our beloved husband, father, grandfather, and legendary singer and guitarist, Glen Travis Campbell, at the age of 81, following his long and courageous battle with Alzheimer's disease."

https://www.faceb...llofficial

RIP Glen Campbell.

Eric
Knew this was coming for a while but sad now that the news is here. Watched his TV show every week as a kid, Dad played Glen Campbell 8 tracks all the time and I still get a rush when I hear the early 70's bell-bottomed, dusty brown pop brilliance of 'Wichita Lineman'.

One of a kind. RIP.

richardb
The man was an amazing singer and musician (just ask Steve Lukather who I understand is a big fan). A very sad day indeed for music lovers everywhere...
 no

RobLynott
Absolute legend! Especially his Jimmy Webb collaborations are spectacular. "By the time I get to Phoenix", "Wichita lineman"... you name it...

R.I.P.

Nick C
I have to say Wichita Lineman is one of my fave songs of all time. R.I.P.

Explorer
The (fairly) recent BBC4 documentary on the man was a bitter sweet experience as it showed the brilliance of his formative and chart success years, but also of his struggles with Alzheimer's in his last years. He will be sadly missed. R.I.P.

darkblue
Nick C wrote:

I have to say Wichita Lineman is one of my fave songs of all time. R.I.P.

Have to be honest and say he was never a huge part of my life, or listening, but man, Wichita Lineman is one awesome song. R.I.P.
Live Fast! - Arrive early....

jefflynnefan
CMT network is doing a Glen Campbell tribute tonight at 8:30 (Central) if anybody is interested in watching it. I'll probably watch it. It's only 30 minutes long . I wonder if they will talk about his time with the "Wrecking Crew" when he was a sessions musician. He played on the Beach Boys albums and all the Phil Spector Wall of Sound recordings, I think....

Explorer
....and BBC 4 in the UK are repeating the excellent documentary that aired a little while back followed up with an 'in concert' special.

darkblue
Explorer wrote:

....and BBC 4 in the UK are repeating the excellent documentary that aired a little while back followed up with an 'in concert' special.

Cheers mate, I'll give that a watch.
Live Fast! - Arrive early....

Explorer
Glen,and the likes of the Carpenters are artists that when I was in my teens would ( to a certain extent) avoid, but with the passing of time and a every growing maturity concerning music I can now fully appreciate these wonderful artists and their impact not just musically but culturally too.

gdazegod
We shouldn't forget that - Glen was a guitar virtuoso. He would often play the William Tell Overture and the Flight Of The Bumblebee at his concerts. It's been said that Eddie Van Halen even asked for some guitar lessons from Glen.. how's that for respect.

Here's a clip with Glen and Steve Lukather.
YouTube Video

Jump to Forum:
Our Friends
Disqus
comments powered by Disqushttp://gdm.glorydazemusic.com/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=4121&pid=22381
crawlers
Google (1), Yahoo (0), msnbot (0), AskJeeves (0),