Username

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Site Tally
Reviews: 6700
Comments: 17181
Messages: 8739
Ratings: 4246
Forum Posts: 20866
Forum Threads: 3615
GDM YouTube Channel
GDM on Facebook
Latest comments - Articles (16286)
Title filter
The string for the filter

#1 | bpdp3 |  ?
at August 17 2017 12:36:10
Sheesh, not one mention of what to me is CLEARLY the best track, "love won't last"!!?!eek
....anyway, really great lp that this review led me to. Thanks!
These are the musicians listed on the back cover of the LP

Bernie Shanahan: vocals, guitars, piano, harmonica
Sharon Golub: keyboards, background vocals
Ronnie Gesser: bass, drum programming, background vocals
John Putnam: guitars, slide guitar, pedal steel, background vocals
James Murphy: drums, percussion
#3 | gdazegod |  ?
at August 15 2017 12:09:56
Reviewing these best of lists again. I forgot that Kelv mentioned Swedish band HOPE, and their great 'All Of My Days' album. i didn't discover this band until well after 2008!
No ava#4 | dude24 |  ?
at August 15 2017 04:29:11
I feel that both Malice albums were solid releases, Priest clones or not. I prefer ITB over LTK. Got to see them live in 1987 opening for Motorhead in Old Forge, PA.
It´s not so bad imho ,very dated but it´s always a pleasure to hear Iris singing
Lots of flourishing guitar antics against pretty decent song arrangements that deliver charged up variety. ‘Don’t Talk Back’ has an understated, almost new wave rock Cheap Trick vibe. ‘Baby Now I’ is another spirited ride.
#7 | gdazegod |  ?
at August 12 2017 14:55:28
Robert Anthony Aviles passed away in 2014. He was a virtuoso violin player, and has left his mark in numerous musical ventures over the past 30 years.
#8 | gdazegod |  ?
at August 12 2017 14:47:28
Insight - 1989 Albatross
#9 | gdazegod |  ?
at August 10 2017 00:13:46
Ignition - 2003 Should Have Done You Right
Motley Crue - 1983 Looks That Kill
YouTube Video
Rob has a new album out in 2017. It's called 'Blackbirds'. Might review it as a companion piece to this one.
I've always thought this guy is a joke especially when compared to Steve Perry and I have seen many daring to do this comparison. He certainly would have liked to be Steve Perry but he falls short even in being a good Perry clone IMHO. I find his vocals extremely weak and thin with no power at all. He leaves me with an impression he sings with falsetto all the time.

I will admit I like a few songs from this album as well as from his solo career and the Ramos-Hugo album, but there's where the story ends for me.
No ava#13 | super80boy |  ?
at August 07 2017 04:39:31
I’ve always preferred this second offering over the subdued aor-lite debut. I like the added keyboard stabs in ‘Carie Ann’. The passionate female AOR ‘Heart Of Hearts’ is a standout and the seductive fade in and out female vocals in ‘Big Bang Theory’ are a nice touch. Both side openers have a new wave slant to them. Of their two albums, this platter is the much better proposition.
#14 | reyno-roxx |  ?
at August 06 2017 20:35:03
This is a point worth noting regarding licensing. The Angel and Morher's Finest 'Iron Age' releases are two other examples of how protracted things can get. So while I understand the frustrations aired by members as to why RC do some reissues and why not others, it is often that things ARE wanting to be released but the issue over rights prevents things from happening.
#15 | gdazegod |  ?
at August 06 2017 09:41:32
Briar - 1988 Frankie (UK video version)
YouTube Video

Briar - 1988 Frankie (US video version)
#16 | gdazegod |  ?
at August 06 2017 09:10:28
Valentine - 1990 Tears In The Night
#17 | gdazegod |  ?
at August 06 2017 09:05:00
Only six years late, since I first announced that this album gets a Rock Candy reissue (see above). Better late than never I guess.
#18 | rkbluez |  ?
at August 06 2017 06:48:24
Solid album the Rock Candy version sounds great...bring on Rockinghorse.
#19 | gdazegod |  ?
at August 05 2017 10:30:36
The vocal on 'Lover Of Mine' is exceptional.
#20 | reyno-roxx |  ?
at August 05 2017 09:05:08
The best album this band ever recorded and one of the very best CCM albums ever released,
First became aware of Alannah thanks to the 'Black Velvet' video being played on Much Music when I visited Hamilton, Ontario to do a featur for K! on Brughtin Rock. The station played Sass Jordan's 'Tell Somebody' straight afterwards. I went over to the record store across the street from my hotel as soon as it opened and picked up both albums. I interviewed Alannah on her first trip to the UK promoting the album. She was lovely and impressed by my knowledge of ňbscure Canadian rock bands.
#22 | Eric |  ?
at August 05 2017 04:21:09
Yes, a couple of Mann's solos are worthy of inclusion here although her most recent while quirky, is disappointing.....
#23 | Eric |  ?
at August 05 2017 04:19:04
Never understood her appeal musically? Fairly average stuff, in particular the big single.
#24 | gdazegod |  ?
at August 04 2017 15:52:20
Guardian - 1990 Power Of Love

Guardian - 1990 Send A Message

Guardian - 1990 Time Stands Still
#25 | rkbluez |  ?
at August 04 2017 15:38:41
Great album...IMO their best...classic melodic hard rock at it's finest.
#26 | gdazegod |  ?
at August 04 2017 14:09:18
Alannah Myles - 1989 Black Velvet

Alannah Myles - 1989 Love Is

Alannah Myles - 1989 Lover Of Mine
#27 | gdazegod |  ?
at August 04 2017 11:37:10
Til Tuesday - 1986 What About Love

Til Tuesday - 1986 Coming Up Close
#28 | gdazegod |  ?
at August 04 2017 10:12:41
Greenway - 1988 In The Danger Zone
#29 | gdazegod |  ?
at August 03 2017 10:13:39
Maybe we should look at dragging Dirk here to GDM.. both our reviews of the two albums show Hittman in a favourable light.. hmm!
#30 | Carl Noonan |  ?
at August 03 2017 10:02:22
Glad to hear about the reissues and new album, thanks Dave.
#31 | gdazegod |  ?
at August 03 2017 08:51:37
I really enjoyed bands like this back in the 80's. Can also include: Canadians Sword, fellow NYC'ers Spread Eagle, and even Fifth Angel, despite my indifference to Ted Pilot.
#32 | reyno-roxx |  ?
at August 03 2017 08:14:06
Dirk did indeed record a solo album a few years ago, but it's release remains a bit of a mystery. Both Hittman albums are being re-issued as expanded versions with a lot of previously unreleased material. The debut will be out by the end of the year. A new album is out next year. Michael Buccell was sadly killed in a road accident a few years ago.
#33 | Carl Noonan |  ?
at August 03 2017 04:51:00
Love this band, big shift in direction on this album from the first but it's still great. Pity they never carried on. Dirk Stevens has a great voice, wish he'd recorded more stuff.
#34 | gdazegod |  ?
at August 02 2017 19:41:50
I've seen some videos on YouTube with Helen, circa the early 80's. OMG, she looked fantastic. Swoon.. flower
#35 | gdazegod |  ?
at August 02 2017 18:40:33
Straight Lines - 1981 Letting Go
Straight Lines - 1980 Roanne
#37 | gdazegod |  ?
at August 02 2017 17:09:14
Cinderella - 1988 The Last Mile
Bernie Shanahan - 1989 Hard Luck And Heroes
#39 | jefflynnefan |  ?
at August 01 2017 13:43:05
Sounds like she was trying to change her style and image. Maybe MCA was against that idea? This sounds pretty good, I shall seek it out. I give "Angie Baby" a spin every once in awhile. BTW, Helen recorded a pretty much unknown song by Jeff Lynne called "Poor Little Fool". It sounds like it could have been a outtake from "A New World Record".
#40 | gdazegod |  ?
at August 01 2017 13:38:05
I have the 1983 LP 'If You Believe', which Alun quite rightly states is very country-fied.
#41 | gdazegod |  ?
at August 01 2017 13:35:26
An interesting insight into the failure of MCA to promote this record back in 1983. And I thought EMI America were bad.

#42 | gdazegod |  ?
at August 01 2017 13:34:06
Helen Reddy - 1983 Imagination

Helen Reddy - 1983 Heartbeat
#43 | englandashes |  ?
at July 31 2017 10:06:19
Agree with George, on the highlight being Had Enough, my first Cd, either Skid Row debut or Whitesnake Slip of the Tongue, well I know which one I played the most......even though I wasn't 18' more like 20 and life to go......
Its a good album Malcolm. These guys and Galahad are putting out the best neo prog out there at the moment.
#45 | Eric |  ?
at July 31 2017 07:42:47
Yeah, I loved the first couple albums (and singles) but feeling as time went on, they couldn't find an identity? Are they Southern rock? Hi-tech Pop circa 'V'? They never seemed to hitch their wagon to one style and just go for it. That hurt them I think and this is exactly as you described G.
The melodic hard rock genre was quite saturated by the late 80’s, so this platter was swimming with tons of similar colleagues and sounds. There’s a couple heavy handed songs that change things up, namely the aggressive ‘Lookin For Strange’, but mostly what you get is straight-ahead big production formulaic rock melodies. For what it is, it gets the job done to a satisfaction level that keeps it in the collection.
Love this band and their albums...they had the songs the vocals and the killer guitar work that should of propelled them to the top of the hair metal heap...bands like them, Lillian Axe, Saint's & Sinners, Kik Tracee and The Scream should of all done much better than a lot of the less talented bands that grabbed all of the spotlight.
#48 | george_the_jack |  ?
at July 30 2017 23:30:42
First 2 Mr Big are essential acquisitions! drummer
Similar to early Impellitteri and Malmsteen. I love this kind of metal.
Here's Lisa Hartman's version from 1982, on Soild Gold. Brings back memories..

Our Friends